- A New Way of Eating
- Boosting Your Nutrition IQ
- Dr. Fieve's Depression Series
- Eat for a Longer Life
- Eating Smart with Diabetes
- Everything About Bed Bugs
- Healing a Herniated Disc
- Men's Health Stories
- Nutrition For Weight Loss
- Psoriasis: Real Patient Stories
- SPF: Sun Protection Films
- Understanding Breast Cancer
- Staff Picks
- Rare and Undiagnosed Conditions
- Understanding Acid Reflux
- Attention on ADD
- The Reality of Addiction
- All About Allergies
- Ease Your Anesthesia Anxiety
- Anxiety, Fears and Phobias
- Arthritis: A Doctor's Perspective
- Asthma Answers
- What is Bipolar Disorder?
- Living With a Blood Disorder
- Blood Donation: A Step by Step Guide
- Having High Blood Pressure
- Blood Pressure: High vs Low
- Breast Cancer Survivors and Supporters
- Mended Little Hearts: The Families of CHD
- Recovering from a Head Injury
- Heart Health: What is Chronic Angina?
- Preventing Colon Cancer
- Living with Lung Disease: COPD
- What it's Like Living with Crohn's Disease
- The Importance of Dental Health
- Coping with Depression
- Type 2 Diabetes: Are You at Risk?
- Real Life Answers: Diet & Nutrition
- Getting to Know Your Ear, Nose & Throat
- How Eating Disorders Start
- Eczema and Everyday Life
- Exercise: How Real People Get Fit
- Eye Health: A Healthy Perspective
- Pain and the Nervous System
- The Facts on Feet
- Let's Talk About Sex
- Pain in the Brain: Headaches and More
- What it Means When Your Heart Skips a Beat
- Surviving a Heart Attack: First-Hand Account
- Heart Surgery Survivors
- Why Hip Replacement Surgery is Popular
- Who is at Risk for Hepatitis?
- Holistic vs. Medical Treatment
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Coping with Embarrassment
- Therapy for Everyday Life
- Lung Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
- How to Know When it's Kidney Pain
- Mononucleosis: The Kissing Disease
- New Year's Health Resolutions
- Coping with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Ovarian Cysts: Real Women's Stories
- Effects of Aging or Overactive Bladder?
- Put an End to Overeating
- How Parasites Affect You Daily
- Living with Parkinson's Disease
- Severe Amputation & Living as a Paraplegic
- PTSD: Life After Trauma
- Prostate Cancer: Physicians and Patients
- Tips to Quit Smoking
- What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Schizophrenia in the Real World
- Sex as a Stress Reliever
- Shoulder Pain: When is it Time for Surgery?
- How Sleep Habits Affect Your Health
- Living with a Severe Spine Injury
- How to Begin Spiritual Healing
- How to Manage Stress
- Tourette's: The Person Behind the Syndrome
- Real Life Traumatic Injuries
- Understanding Tuberculosis
- Urology 101
- Women's Health Stories
- Your Guide to Yoga
- Better Food for a Better Life
- Pregnancy Stories from Women Like You
- Cholesterol Basics and Management
Meet Michelle, just your average everyday girl who happens to practice Nichiren Buddhism. Find out how she stumbled upon this unique branch of Buddhism, and how it has impacted her life for the better; this is her story.
"Nichiren Buddhism: Michelle's Story"
"My name's Michelle, I'm 24, and I practice Nichiren Buddhism. I was very kind of confused, and didn't know what I really wanted to do with my life, and was really down, and feeling a little depressed, and um, I was paired up with this roommate who was the most optimistic, hopeful person you could ever imagine. She was so happy, and I was like, what, why are you this way. And she said basically it's this one line that you chant over and over again as a form of meditation. It's called Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo, and you sit cross-legged, or however way you feel comfortable with your arms out or up to your heart, and you just say the line over and over again. She would always say, if you have any questions ask me, so I began to ask more questions, and she was always helpful to answer them; so I started chanting a little bit.
I really feel like its really helpful, and really grounds me, and some people have amazing stories from it, some people experience a lot of bad things that happen to them. For instance, I chanted that my relationship will get better, and then it just totally ended, and I was like, what I didn't chant for it, I chanted for it to be a better relationship, but it just like disintegrated; but maybe that's to give way for something better in my life to happen, and I think that chanting helped me see that, rather than be depressed about that ending.
Nichiren Buddhism is definitely one specific type of spirituality or religious way of living, and I don't think it's for everyone of course, but I do think it has helped me. For me, I do think it has helped me in times of difficulty, and in times when I don't know exactly where I'm going or what I'm doing, but it helps you be okay with that everything is unfolding as it should be, or there's more than you realize in life."